Sunday, May 15, 2011

Moving to the Philippines



Matthew 28:19-20 "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age."



As you may know I am moving to the Philippines on August 10th. I am so excited for this new life journey, but it will be definitely be a change. Throughout college I have always had a desire for missions and I have followed this desire by reaching out to high school students in a ministry called Young Life. Leading Young Life was one of the most wonderful experiences in my college years. I was able to walk beside girls and see them come to know the love of Christ and experience the power of prayer. 



Since I have stopped leading Young Life my heart has grown for international missions, when this desire came I began exploring other countries and opportunities to go to another part of the world. I finally ran into an opportunity with the International Mission Board for college students to go on semester long mission trips. After looking at these trips I knew this was what I should be doing with the next stage in life and applied to go, and I received one of the 30 scholarships to go on a mission trip. Now I am going to be moving to Batanga's City in the Philippines in less than 3 months! After looking at all the possible trips I could go on, the Philippines kept pressing on my heart. Growing up my family supported a child in the Philippines through the ministry of Compassion. Compassion is a ministry that helps International children in poverty while showing them Christ. From sponsoring her and reading letters from her while growing up the Philippines became a place where I wanted to go and share Christ with others. 

The Philippines is a BEAUTIFUL place with large gaps between the upper and lower class leaving large amounts of poverty. While in the Philippines my team is mostly going to be focusing on reaching out to college students. The college students are the upper class, the elite in the Philippines. In their country only the elite go to college, and the elite will be the leaders of their country. In our time there we hope to reach out to these college students so that the leaders of their country will be followers of Christ. By showing the future leaders of the country Christ we hope to impact the country as a whole. In our time there we will also be simply getting to know people in the community by going to where they are whether that be in malls, internet cafe's, or on the streets of the town.


I pray that through this trip I will grow closer to Christ and come to know him in a more intimate way. That my love for him will become deeper and that I will grow in my wisdom and knowledge of my Lord Jesus Christ. I pray that I will be a shining light of Christ to the people of the Philippines and I will know that the Lord my God goes before me in every situation and that he will not leave me nor forsake me. 

If you want to stay updated on my trip through my preparation and time there I am going to be posting to this blog in order to stay in contact and share my experiences!



No comments:

Post a Comment